The Head of the River
Recommandé par 13 habitants ·
Conseils des habitants
You couldn’t ask for a more scenic spot to find a traditional English pub than beside the River Thames. The Head of the River, Oxford, aims to match the beauty of its surroundings with its delicious food, refreshing drinks and boutique accommodation. Whether you join us for an hour in the garden,…
A great pub serving quality food beside the river. Access the pub by walking down St Aldates from the top of the High Street.
A bit pricey because of it's location but it's location is really nice for sitting outside on a sunny day, right next to the river, so you can watch the punters go by. Not worth it if is not sunny.
The head of the River is a pub just south of Christ Church has an unbeatable location on the edge of the Isis, meaning that if you manage to nab a much-coveted table outside you can while away an afternoon with a glass of Pimms, watching the rowers go past.
Characterful, buzzing pub overlooking the river with large outdoor seating area adjacent to the river. Standard pub food/drinks.
Activités uniques à proximité
Logements à proximité
Les habitants recommandent également
“The Folly restaurant occupies a unique riverside position in the heart of Oxford, a stones throw from the Westgate centre but beside the beauty of the River Thames. Our restaurant provides simply served, excellently cooked dishes crafted from the freshest seasonal ingredients. The restaurant's terrace floats on the waters of the River Thames as she runs gently under Folly Bridge. Inside we give a warm welcome throughout the year and offer relaxed drinks and dining from Sunday lunch to Saturday cocktails and everything in between.”
- Recommandé par 10 habitants
“It is just a few minutes walk to the left. On the right there is also a corner store which keeps most basic things. It is even closer than the Tesco. ”
- Recommandé par 5 habitants
Sublocality Level 1
“Wolvercote is a village that is part of the City of Oxford, England. It is about 3 miles (5 km) northwest of the city centre, on the northern edge of Wolvercote Common, which is itself north of Port Meadow and adjoins the River Thames. The Domesday Book of 1086 lists the village as Ulfgarcote (cottage of Woolgar; or Woolgar's place). The toponym had become "Wolvercote" by 1185. Wolvercote housing faced onto its extensive commons, which provided much of the community's livelihood. Some residents still have ancient rights on the commons. Geese rearing was once an important local activity, and a goose is still one of the village symbols. Horses and cattle are still grazed on Wolvercote Common and Port Meadow. In 1789 the Oxford Canal divided the village into two parts, and in 1846 the Oxford and Rugby Railway was built beside the canal through the village. In 1850 the Buckinghamshire Railway was completed through a tunnel and cutting along the eastern edge of Upper Wolvercote. The western edge of Upper Wolvercote parallels the canal at Wolvercote Green and fades into North Oxford suburbia to the east. Lower Wolvercote borders the River Thames at Godstow to the west, and Port Meadow and the canal to the east. The paper mill in Lower Wolvercote, former supplier of paper to the Oxford University Press, was once a major local employer. It was in existence by 1720, when it was bought by the 1st Duke of Marlborough. From 1782 the mill was leased to Oxford printer and publisher William Jackson, proprietor of the local newspaper Jackson's Oxford Journal which was published until 1928. The mill was entirely water-powered until 1811, when a steam engine was installed to power the paper-making process. The engine consumed 100 tons of coal per week, which was brought by narrowboat down the Oxford Canal, along Duke's Cut, and then down the mill stream which at the time was navigable as far as a wharf at the mill. Two of the narrowboats belonged to the mill, having been bought in 1856 and plying between there and the Midlands for 60 years until the mill sold them in 1916.Narrowboats continued to serve Wolvercote until at least the 1950s, by which time the mill used mechanical equipment to unload them. The mill was rebuilt in 1955,ceased paper-making in 1998 and was demolished in 2004. The University of Oxford plans to develop the site as housing for its staff, but rising cost estimates and local objections have led the University to reduce the scale of its plans significantly. The mill stream takes its water from the nearby River Thames, and is crossed in Wolvercote at a former toll-bridge. The bridge bears a plaque in memory of two airmen of the Royal Flying Corps who were killed nearby in a flying accident in 1912. Part of Port Meadow was used as a military airfield in the First World War; the Royal Artillery also had a base there. In 1940, a camp was set up on the meadow for evacuees from Dunkirk. Parish church The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter is in Upper Wolvercote. It has a 14th-century west tower with a 15th-century window and doorway. In 1860 the church except for the tower was demolished, and rebuilt to Gothic revival designs by the architect Charles Buckeridge. The Norman tub font and a 14th-century south window of the chancel were retained, as well as 17th- and 18th-century monuments to the Walter family. Cemetery Wolvercote Cemetery is in the parish on Five Mile Drive between the Banbury Road and Woodstock Road, just north of the Oxford Ring Road. The graves include those of J.R.R. Tolkien and Sir Thomas Chapman, father of T.E. Lawrence. A paper sign in the parish church warns people that Tolkien is not buried in the churchyard, and provides directions to the cemetery. The writer and poet John Wain moved to Wolvercote in 1960.”
- Recommandé par 4 habitants
“Edamame is an authentic Japanese eatery in Oxford. We serve our own style of home cooked food, offering various Japanese dishes, and sushi, at low prices. It is not a sushi bar or a formal Japanese restaurant. It is a very casual and friendly setting that might not appeal to people in search of more formal dining ! However, everyone is most welcome, and we do our very best to make you feel comfortable through what might be for some a new kind of dining experience. It is a tiny premises that can often get rather busy, and so tables are often shared between different groups of guests to minimise the wait at the door. In Oxford there are several formulaic chains and Asian "fusion" food outlets. At Edamame we fiercely maintain our policy of serving only authentic Japanese food, that we carefully prepare and then serve to you with much pride. Our signature dish edamame "eh-dah-mah-meh" are juicy, baby soy beans. Pop them out of their salted pods to enjoy their succulent and addictive flavour. Instead of one large menu we operate a schedule of three small menus, to ensure that ingredients and their preparation are as fresh as possible : lunch menu - everyday except Monday and Tuesday sushi night menu - Thursday early evenings only dinner menu - Friday and Saturday early evenings only We receive small daily deliveries of fresh fish and meat, a policy which may regrettably result in some items occasionally selling out.”
- Recommandé par 10 habitants